This week's blog is about how to make breakfast, tasty, quick, and HEALTHY! With a couple options - one for on the run if you want a grab and go breakfast, and one if you want something to eat while you read the paper/watch the news, etc.
So what are some tasty breakfasts?
If you want a grab and go (or portable) breakfast:
- Pour a couple cups of coconut milk in a blender or shaker/blender bottle
- Add 2-3 scoops of a green powder mixture (my personal favorite is the Purium Green Power Shake!)
- Add a scoop or two of protein powder - You can certainly use whey isolate (a couple good ones are PVL Iso Sport or Rivalus's Promasil), however my favorite is the Thorne FX vanilla or chocolate protein powder - very hypoallergenic because MANY people have dairy sensitivites and don't even know it.
- OR, use the Purium LOVE shake, which has the greens and protein already inside it, plus some fibre and healthy fat! This is another favorite drink of mine, and I alternate this with the Purium Green Shake and the Rice protein for variety
- Add some stevia, monkfruit extraxt, cinnamon, etc., to sweeten it up a bit if you need (but when we add the berries you likely won't even need the extra sweetness
- Then, if you have time/desire to use a blender, add a handful of berries, and extra points for adding kale, spinach, collard greens, swiss chard, etc, to the mix.
- Add some olive oil or avocado oil to give you some healthy fats as well - very important for being healthy and LOSING fat/maintaining muscle and brain function.
- Blend it up, or shake it up if you are opting out of the berries (just grab an apple) and kale mix.
- That's it! There is a complete breakfast with protein, greens, liquid to hydrate you, and many many natural vitamins.
If you want something to eat while you read the paper/watch the news etc, how about a "cereal replacement." Most of you know I am not a huge fan of many grains, especially processed grains, and boxed cereals with all the sugar and addatives, but how about a "cereal" that is healthy, tasty and fast?
- add 4-6 tablespoons of hemp hearts in a bowl for protein and healthy fats
- 1-1.5 teaspoons of Chia seeds for protein, fibre and minerals - let this soak in the milk for 5 minutes or more so the chia seeds are soft, or soak them overnight
- a small handful of slivered almonds or even sunflower seeds (or whatever nuts you like)
- unsweetened vanilla coconut or almond milk, or even rice milk which is good but has some natural sugar content. If you opt for almond or coconut milk, throw some vanilla and/or stevia in the mix to add some more sweetness and taste to the mixture
- Feel free to add some low-sugar fruit like berries or unsweetened cranberries - Sobeys has great tasting, unsweetened frozen ones all year round! Great for your health and even preventing various urinary tract infections! Or, just grab an apple or Pear.
OK, here is a bonus breakfast as well for you!
I am not a huge fan of microwaves, but if it allows people to eat healtier, then I say go for it!
Grab a bowl, put a couple WHOLE eggs (preferably free range) in it, a bit of liquid (or not) like dairy or preferably a dairy substitute like almond/coconut milk if you like, and mix it up for a minute. Add any spices you like, such as cayenne pepper, black pepper, and perhaps a pinch of Himalayan sea salt, or kelp salt, and apple cider vinegar for extra flavour. You can even put some torn up spinach, kale, collards, etc., in the bottom of the bowl before cracking the eggs to get some greens. Add a bit of coconut oil, olive oil, or avocado oil as well to get a healthy fat in there. Mix it up and nuke it (or even cook it in a frying pan, but we are talking about saving time here), for 1-3 minutes. You're done! Enjoy, and then start your day!